Thursday, July 14, 2005

Hopping Mad... well crazy anyway!


I started doing Lindy Hop back in March. My wife had been learning for about 6 months, and talked me into giving it a go. The first time I was supposed to start classes, I sat in the car park outside too chicken to go in, which luckily only delayed things a month. My previous dancing experience consisted of a few weeks doing ball room dancing with some lovely old ladies back in '96, and a couple of sad attempts at co-ordinated movement in clubs since.

Being the movement challenged person that I am, I had been expecting the whole process to be painful and embarrassing. Little did I know how much fun Shane and Cheryl would make the whole learning experience (I luv Chez).

I was a convert by the end of the first class.

Two weeks after finishing beginners, I was lucky enough to be able to go to Hullabaloo. The weekend both inspired me, and opened my eyes to what Lindy Hop is all about.

I am now happily inflicting myself on many unsuspecting victims, secure in the knowledge that its all about having fun, and hopefully the steps and leads get sorted out somewhere along the way. I actually got though a dance at the last Splanky without stuffing something up. That just proves that miracles do happen.

I have never before met a group of people that has so much fun, regardless of size, age, weight, race, gender or asthetic appeal. Now that I have discovered Lindy Hoppers, you can be sure I'm going to hang round, and hope that some of the fun loving crazyness rubs off on me.

Besides... getting up close and personal with pretty girls all night is not something I'm adverse to!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home